Never had any doubt

From an early age I knew what I would be spending most of my life doing. I did not know all the ins and outs of it but knew I would be a mother, caregiver, and teacher.

After I retired what God intended for me to do did not become clear to me. Recently I have been thinking back over unusual things that have happened and now I am fairly sure what it is I am still here to do.

Since Covid a lot of my outings have been brought to a halt. One thing I have really missed is going to the grocery store and going out to eat. I don’t miss shopping because I am not one that enjoys shopping.

What I miss is the people that start talking to me and end up sharing with me things one would not expect strangers to do. For example, once when I pulled into the parking lot at a place to eat, I stepped out of my van and a man that pulled in next to me got out and greeted me. I asked him how he was doing, and he told me he was having an exceedingly tough time because his wife of many years had recently passed away.

I stayed and listened to him for several minutes as he shared memories of good times he and his wife had experienced over the years. When he finished talking, we both went in to eat. I was travelling to visit my family in another state when this happened and was many miles from home.

Almost every time I go to the grocery store or some other place of business someone will come up to me and start sharing things that are happening or have happened to them. I just listen and keep them in my prayers.

It has always been men and I wonder why they are so at ease sharing with me. This is what I have missed a lot since I am homebound most of the time. I’m looking forward to the day I can get back out and hopefully God will still use me to listen to strangers that just need someone to listen to what they have to say.

Helping someone to feel better is what I hope to always be able to do and listening to them is my pleasure. In my younger years I talked a lot, now I listen a lot.

What do you miss most being able to do since the pandemic?

8 thoughts on “Never had any doubt

1. annemariedemyen January 29, 2022 / 3:05 pm

I have really enjoyed the seclusion afforded by the pandemic. I have had a chance to dig deep and realize things about myself that I am sure I would never have learned otherwise. One thing that does bother me is that when I do go shopping or am otherwise out and about, I am used to doing little things for others – if they drop something I will pick it up and hand it to them, or help them carry something out to their vehicle if, or help them take groceries out of their cart to put on the checkout counter if they cannot reach into their cart – nothing heroic – it is just a reflex thing. If someone needs a hand, I offer it. Of course with this six foot social distancing thing, I have no idea what one is supposed to do and I feel awkward as hell. And bad for not helping but I don’t want to get on ‘their’ space. So awkward. πŸ™„

• frony1969 January 30, 2022 / 10:28 am

I know it is the same with me. I wonder if we will ever get back to a place where we can do for others what we enjoyed doing in the past.

• annemariedemyen January 30, 2022 / 10:55 am

I certainly hope so! πŸ’ž

• frony1969 January 30, 2022 / 11:10 am

Me too.

2. dkzody January 22, 2022 / 8:15 pm

I have just been having a similar conversation with friends and hubby. If you cannot go to work or out with friends, how to you make connections? How do you build relationships? How do you see how people are doing? How do you learn how to “read” people and how to cooperate with others, all part of being part of a community? Your connections are important to people. Hope you can get back soon to making them.

• frony1969 January 22, 2022 / 9:40 pm

I have not been or am totally isolated. I visit with some family via Skype every day. I talk with those that deliver things I order. Three of the delivery people and I have become good friends, we have had some nice conversations. My next door neighbors and I have nice conversations when we are outside at the same time. Three family members came to visit during the holidays. I do get out some but not to the places I most would like to go. I am looking forward to the day I can get out in public and do things I don’t feel safe in doing now.

3. Janis @ RetirementallyChallenged.com January 22, 2022 / 5:26 pm

Even though I’m more of an introvert, I miss the easy one-on-one conversations too. I love those little snippets of unexpected interactions… even just standing in line at the grocery store. I really dislike that now I feel a need to do my business quickly and get out into the fresh air. Hopefully this will be over soon and we can go back to opening ourselves up to strangers without concern.

• frony1969 January 22, 2022 / 9:19 pm

I am with you on that Janis and I truly hope we will see the day soon when we can do that.