Always at just the right time

Today I have been thinking about how blessings in my life arrived at just the right time. This is my little buddy in the photo, his name is Chancy he is going on 15 years old. He was given to me when he was about six months old…and just before the last child married and moved out. A couple of years after that I became a caregiver for my husband.

He has brought so much joy to my husband and me. He is smart and so funny. He has been one of the best sources of laughter for us.

We have storms in the spring and the winter. This photo shows some of the piles of limbs we picked up after a storm. Chancy loves helping with yardwork. We could not believe what we noticed him doing when we were cleaning up and piling up limbs that had fallen from the trees.

He was picking up limbs and taking them to the other side of the yard and building his own pile. He worked so hard dragging or carrying limbs to his pile, but we could not help but laugh at him for choosing to make his own pile. He was determined to get each limb to his pile no matter how large or how small.

The following photos show the beginning of his pile, I had to get back to working on picking up limbs myself, so I didn’t get any more photos.

This one was about six feet long, but he made it to his pile running all the way there with it in his mouth.
He is arranging a limb on his very own pile.

His pile got a bit larger before we stopped working for the day. He was proud of himself and his pile of limbs. We were proud of him too for doing an excellent job helping to pile up the limbs.

This little buddy has stuck by me through some tough times, and I am so grateful he came to me at just the right time and is still with me. I have had many dogs in my lifetime, but none can compare to my little Chancy Man.

27 thoughts on “Always at just the right time

1. annemariedemyen April 5, 2022 / 3:56 pm

There are some dogs that are just so amazing! Kat would mimic some of the things I would do in the yard – like pick vegetables. Not super helpful as she ate the ones she picked. 😂

• Mags April 5, 2022 / 3:59 pm

Yes, they are amazing. Kat helping with the vegetables and eating them gave me a giggle. ❤

• annemariedemyen April 5, 2022 / 4:12 pm

Dan and I were talking about Casey and Kat yesterday. Casey was SO smart and empathetic and protective of the grandbabies. Kat was SO cute but what a putz. 😊💞

• Mags April 6, 2022 / 8:28 am

Her cuteness made up for the traits she didn’t have. She was adorable for sure. ❤

• annemariedemyen April 6, 2022 / 5:12 pm

She was that, and entertaining to boot. 💞.

• Mags April 5, 2022 / 3:37 pm

Thank you.

2. Mother Hen April 5, 2022 / 1:49 pm

What a special dog.. We’ve only had cats, but along with their quirkiness, they have been entertaining as well.

• Mags April 5, 2022 / 3:39 pm

He truly is special. I have had many cats over the years and I agree they are entertaining.

3. dkzody April 4, 2022 / 3:42 pm

What a smart dog. And industrious, too. Who could ask for anything more? Of course, that said, I am a cat person. I won’t tell you how many we have because someone will call the looney bin and have me hauled away. Trust me, a cat won’t help you with yard work. They assume you are outside to pet them and make them feel good. And open the gate from the front yard to the back so they don’t have to climb the fence to go back and forth. Totally useless but I love each and every one just as you do your terrific dog.

• Mags April 5, 2022 / 11:14 am

At one time we had 13 cats. I have loved every cat we had and we had a lot of them over the years. Some that have been gone for many years I still get teary eyed about when I think of them. I totally understand your love for cats. I think most people who don’t like cats have never had one nor do they understand them.

4. peggy April 4, 2022 / 2:59 pm

Oh what a sweet story. We had many dogs in our life, but only one special little dog we had for 15 years. I love this story about Chancy making his own pile of sticks. I have never heard of a dog that would do something like that. Pets enrich our lives and thanks for sharing this very special story.

• Mags April 4, 2022 / 3:02 pm

Thank you, Peggy. Yes, pets do enrich our lives. You are very welcome and I am glad you enjoyed reading about Chancy and his help with yard cleaning.

• peggy April 4, 2022 / 3:16 pm

I could use a stick dog around my yard. Ha

• Mags April 5, 2022 / 11:16 am

🙂

5. theclampettsblog April 4, 2022 / 2:40 pm

Pets surely add a lot of enjoyment and yes, heartache to us. I am sure God made it just that way!

• Mags April 4, 2022 / 2:49 pm

Yes they do and God made everything he created his way for sure.

• Mags April 4, 2022 / 1:50 pm

Thank you, yes they do bring us joy. I can’t imagine my life without one.

6. Suzassippi April 4, 2022 / 1:27 pm

Being a dog lover, I adore this post, Mags! We have had a couple of really smart dogs, but I never had one who helped me pick up limbs! You rock, Chancy.

• Mags April 4, 2022 / 1:49 pm

Chancy is the first and only one for me. With all the dogs of my own and the many I fostered none but Chancy helped with yard work. When I plant bulbs or need a hole dug I can tell him to “dig” and he does. LOL He has his own garden spot in the corner of the yard.

7. chardixon47 April 4, 2022 / 1:19 pm

Awww-Sweet Chancy Man 🙂 Sis, Chancy and all fur babies are gifts. They work so hard to please us. I’m so thankful you have your sweet companion. I would be lost without my Bella. Sending you huge hugs and some bodacious nose kisses and tummy tickles for Chancy Man. ❤ ❤ Your post is so up lifting.

• Mags April 4, 2022 / 1:45 pm

They for sure are Sis. I can’t imagine our lives with out sweet Bella and sweet Chancy. All of our fur babies have been special in their own way and worked hard to please us. I hope you all are having a wonderful day. Sending much love to you all and lots of nose kisses and tummy rubs for sweet Bella.

8. Joyful2bee April 4, 2022 / 1:13 pm

Such a sweet friend to have and soon helpful. As much as I love Norie, she wouldn’t do that. LOL!

• Mags April 4, 2022 / 1:42 pm

None of the other dogs I had did either. Chancy is for sure one of a kind. I know that Norie must be special in other ways though.

• Joyful2bee April 4, 2022 / 9:27 pm

What a sweet furry friend! I never had a cat before her but she and I have routines and kniw what the other wants or needs. She gives affection but on her terms which I respect because she gets over stimulated with too much petting. She is a wonderful companion for me. Thank you.

• Mags April 5, 2022 / 11:04 am

In my experience with cats most of them give affection on their own terms. I am glad you have her.