Where do they go?

Every spring there are several baby robins at my place. One year they hatched and fledged from the nest under one of the window awnings. Two years in a row they hatched from a nest under the carport. The second year under the carport they did not live to fledge, crows stole them. The robins have not built their nests where I can see them since that year.

I was fortunate enough to get some photos from the first year under the carport. They are not the best photos I have ever taken but I am glad to have them. The mom and dad watched over them and took turns feeding them.

They had four little ones and I enjoyed watching them several times a day every day until they all fledged.

Flapping those little wings getting them ready to fly. They were so cute.

Last night we had storms that brought heavy rain, wind, and hail. Some parts of the state had golf ball and baseball sized hail. My area had marble to quarter size that lasted several minutes. The ground was covered with layered hail stones. I could not help but think about the birds that are nesting now. How do they stay safe and protect their babies in weather like that? Where do the birds go for protection? I don’t see how they could survive in a nest in a tree with weather like we had last night.

There have not been very many birds at the feeders so far today. I hope there were not birds or other wildlife killed by that terrible hail.

My thoughts and prayers are with all the people who have property damage from tornadoes, wind, hail, fires, snowstorms, and flooding. Still more storms to come tonight and tomorrow. My thoughts and prayers will be with all people and wildlife.

28 thoughts on “Where do they go?

1. Mother Hen May 5, 2022 / 5:18 pm

These are sweet photos! Their nests look sturdy but I’m sure can’t compete with severe storms. I find myself feeling protective when it comes to the birds we feed. There was tiny sparrow a few days ago. It was hopping around and just looked too young to be on his own. Made me wonder where his mama was.. lol

• Mags May 5, 2022 / 5:59 pm

Thank you! I have seen tiny birds out alone and seeing the mama or daddy come flying from way up in a tree when a large bird went near the little one. It is amazing how quickly they teach the little ones to find food and fend for themselves. The ones I feed I call MY birds. LOL

2. indianeskitchen April 18, 2022 / 3:48 pm

Your pictures are wonderful. Isn’t it crazy how fast the babies grow and leave the nest, thank you for sharing them.

• Mags April 19, 2022 / 8:01 am

Thank you, Diane. Yes, it is. I had to look out that window a lot to get the photos that I did. You are welcome I was happy to share them.

3. annemariedemyen April 18, 2022 / 3:31 pm

Sorry to hear of your storms. I hope you did not suffer any damage. I don’t know how birds make out in other trees but I think it would be hard for anything to disturb them in our big spruce tree. Nothing gets through that! Take care and have a good rest of the day!

• Mags April 19, 2022 / 8:04 am

No major damage at my place. Other areas had very large hail and wind that did a lot of damage. When we have tornadoes and hail is when I worry about the nesting birds and their babies. Hope you have a wonderful day Anne.

• annemariedemyen April 19, 2022 / 8:31 am

That is great to hear. I think your trees are more built to avoid damage by allowing wind and rain to blow through the branches so I can’t imagine how nests and baby birds survive the violent weather. Our evergreen trees are more like tanks build to protect them from frigid temps. Have a great day, Mags and I hope all your little birds return.

• Mags April 19, 2022 / 8:34 am

I am seeing a lot of finches, but not near as many cardinals and robins as I usually see at the feeders. I saw one Indigo Bunting yesterday and hope I see more of them.

• annemariedemyen April 19, 2022 / 8:37 am

That is good. I hope your Cardinals and Robins return. I have no idea what an Indigo Bunting is but sounds interesting. I will have to look those up. We get a few finches and the occasional Robin, but mostly we get sparrows, crows, and hawks.

• Mags April 19, 2022 / 8:40 am

Indigo Buntings are beautiful. I have a few photos of some I took a few years back. I get sparrows at the feeders. There are crows but if I don’t put out food with corn in it they do not come around. The hawks come and grab a bird now and then.

• annemariedemyen April 19, 2022 / 8:41 am

I googled the Indigo Buntings. They are definitely beautiful. 💞

• Mags April 19, 2022 / 8:42 am

Yes, they are. I was so excited the first time I saw one. ❤

4. Joyful2bee April 15, 2022 / 4:37 pm

What a great view you had. I hope they are all okay.

• Mags April 16, 2022 / 1:03 pm

Thank you! I do too.

5. Grandma's Ramblings April 14, 2022 / 12:19 pm

I wonder too when it storms, where do they go for protection? We have cardinals and doves and I always love it when I see them reappear after the storm.

• Mags April 14, 2022 / 1:54 pm

Most of them must find protection. I love it too when I see them at the feeders after storms. I am not seeing as many yet as I was before the three straight days of storms, but hopefully I will soon.

6. Janis @ RetirementallyChallenged.com April 12, 2022 / 7:36 pm

I’ve often wondered about that too. We don’t normally get big weather events where I live, but the wind can blow quite powerfully at times. I can only hope that Mother Nature has a plan for her feathered creations and so they probably know how to protect themselves.

• Mags April 13, 2022 / 11:13 am

I hope also hope they have a way to stay safe. I am concerned the most about the birds with babies in nests

7. theclampettsblog April 12, 2022 / 2:58 pm

That is a very good question. For us, a late in the year snowstorm can cause a lot of damage too. I never thought much about the fact that some birds could be nesting at that point.

• Mags April 12, 2022 / 3:22 pm

You are right about snowstorms and damage. I was stranded in a snow blizzard several years ago, not where I live now and I hope to never be in another one.

8. peggy April 12, 2022 / 2:31 pm

I think about the creatures in nature during bad weather. It amazes me that any make it through the storm. Your pictures are very good – so glad you had them in your pictures files. We were in a supercell storm last night and lucked out. It went between my house and my daughter’s house – we are 7 miles apart. Stay safe tonight and tomorrow. I will be praying for everyone in Arkanas and surrounding states.

• Mags April 12, 2022 / 3:20 pm

I am so glad to hear that you and your daughter were not in the path of the super cell and you are safe. I watched the weather until almost midnight, the storms were very near family and friends, thankfully they are all safe. I am amazed also that the creatures in nature survive the storms. Thank you for the compliment on the photos. Stay safe, prayers for all.

9. chardixon47 April 12, 2022 / 2:27 pm

So sorry you had such a horrid storm, Sis. 😦 Spring is beautiful, but often comes with damage to people and nature. We’ve had strong winds here, but none of the rain that fell north of us. The wind is still blowing, but the sun is out. Sis, I pray you, your family, and Sweet Chancy Man are kept safe and well. Sending huge hugs for you and some tummy tickles for Chancy. ❤ ❤

• Mags April 12, 2022 / 3:16 pm

You are right about Spring Sis. We never look forward to the storms that come with it, but we sure love the beauty. We have had wind and sun until a bit ago, it is now getting cloudy. Thank you so much for your prayers. Tons of hugs for you, Cheryl and tons of nose kisses and tummy rubs for sweet Bella. Love you sweet Sis. ❤

• chardixon47 April 12, 2022 / 4:23 pm