Night visitors

Since moving here in 1972 these little critters have been regular visitors to our yard. They don’t bother about anything or cause damage. They do eat ticks, so we have happily coexisted with them all these years.

Two years ago, I heard a noise on the front porch that I had not heard before. I went to the door, opened it and saw this cute little raccoon eating from one of the bird feeders.

She was no more than three feet from me. I told her she should not be eating from the bird feeder and should go on her way. Every time I would say something she would turn and look at me and then go back to eating. After she got her fill, she slowly walked off the porch and out into the night.

I moved the bird feeder after that night and now have all the feeders’ squirrel and raccoon proofed.

There had been no raccoons in my yard since that night that I knew of. But a little past 8:30 p.m. a night last week I heard and saw one on the porch. They can do damage and can be aggressive at times, so I really prefer that they stay out in the woods. There are some in a neighbor’s shed, a mama, and her babies so they are multiplying.

A few of the neighbors are searching for someone that can capture and relocate them. When they are in a place better suited for them, it will be good for them and the people living here, especially since this area is more populated with people now than in years past.

When I was a little girl, we lived in the country. My dad brought home a raccoon and he was our pet until we moved from there. I loved that little raccoon and enjoyed the time we had with him.

Now that I am an adult and more educated about wild animals, I do not believe we should have them as pets. It is illegal in some places, and I am thankful for that. I think it should be illegal everywhere.

24 thoughts on “Night visitors

1. indianeskitchen May 19, 2022 / 1:44 am

I love wildlife too but not on my porch! Two day ago my husband got up and there was a possum in our yard. He was walking in circles, moved a little and walked in circles again. Something was definitely wrong with it, either rabid or was hit by a car. He had to shoot it as the grandkids were over and he didn’t want it to suffer or bite the grandkids.

• Mags May 19, 2022 / 9:34 am

We need to be careful around nocturnal wildlife that is out in the daytime. It sounds as if there was definitely something wrong with that possum in your yard and I think your husband did the right thing.

2. annemariedemyen April 25, 2022 / 2:09 pm

I agree – wild animals deserve to live in the freedom of the wilderness. I do enjoy most of them when they stop by – especially the birds and squirrels. Not so much mice and the like.

• Mags April 26, 2022 / 9:23 am

Me too, I enjoy all but the rats, mice, gophers and critters like that. I would rather they be out in the forest and away from my yard and home.

3. peggy April 20, 2022 / 3:18 pm

Here in the country we see a lot of opossums and racoons in our yard. We grow watermelons and cantelop every year. The coons eat all of them unless we put wire cages over them – which we do. Coons can be very mean. Our neighbor raised a coon years ago.

• Mags April 20, 2022 / 8:36 pm

You are right about raccoons, they can get mean. Lucky you getting to eat fresh grown watermelons and cantaloupe.

• peggy April 21, 2022 / 7:58 am

Had wheelbarrows of cantelopes last year. Give them to family, church friends, our doctors and nurses at the clinic. Love to share.

• Mags April 21, 2022 / 9:11 am

Bless you for sharing.

4. Janis @ RetirementallyChallenged.com April 19, 2022 / 5:20 pm

Recently, my husband set up a camera in our yard to record what was after our artichoke plant. We never did figure it out but we enjoyed watching various critters pass through during the night (cats and opossums mostly).

• Mags April 20, 2022 / 10:33 am

Sorry about your artichoke plant. I see cats here too, have no idea who they belong to or if they are strays. Having a camera would be fun then I could see what all visits my yard when I am in bed asleep. I can gp outside and the opossums don’t leave, they just sit and look at me while I snap the camera and talk to them. I keep a door or window between the raccoons and me though.

5. Grandma's Ramblings April 19, 2022 / 4:05 pm

A few years ago we had a raccoon make her next under our sunroom porch. We called the local animal shelter and they gave us a cage to catch her and then they came and released her back into the wild.

• Mags April 20, 2022 / 10:34 am

That is great! That is what we hope to get done here.

6. chardixon47 April 19, 2022 / 3:33 pm

Great pics, Sis! Since moving here, I’ve only seen our resident squirrels and a gopher who is now gone-LOL We have lots of bird activity and I sometimes I hear the hoot of an owl. Night critters can be silent and sly.

• Mags April 20, 2022 / 10:37 am

Thank you, Sis. I hope to not see any gophers and I am glad the one that was at your place is gone. So happy that you get to see lots of beautiful birds. I have never heard or seen an owl around here.

• chardixon47 April 20, 2022 / 1:58 pm

❤ ❤

• Mags April 20, 2022 / 8:36 pm

❤ ❤

7. Suzassippi April 19, 2022 / 1:04 pm

I have only seen a few o’possums here, including a small one that got trapped in the trash bin and fell asleep on top of a pile of socks son had tossed. I turned the bin on its side and the next morning he was gone. Raccoons are another story altogether!

• Mags April 19, 2022 / 2:00 pm

I have never seen more than two opossums at my place. One was here so long we named him. LOL

• Suzassippi April 19, 2022 / 2:30 pm

Gotta love it!

8. theclampettsblog April 19, 2022 / 11:46 am

Very interesting! One morning a while ago when I woke up and looked out to our back yard, there sat the fattest raccoon I think I have ever seen. That was a long sentence, sorry. Anyway, spring brings lots of animals out of the woods around here.

• Mags April 19, 2022 / 11:58 am

I can only imagine how many animals you see at your place. I wish I lived where I could see more wild animals. When we moved out here there were more wild animals than people, now it is more people than wild animals.

• theclampettsblog April 20, 2022 / 3:37 pm

That is what happens unfortunately. Sometimes, I would rather not see them as in fox with something dangling out of its mouth. That sort of thing!

• Mags April 20, 2022 / 8:32 pm

Me too, I know all wildlife has to have food, but I just don’t want to see any of them eating some of the others.